Monday, August 17, 2015

Glory, Grace, and Mercy, part I

Christ Pantocrator

There can't really be any mistake about the way the Presence of the Lord is experienced, and what it is like... how I am... when the Presence is absent.

The Presence is not constant; and no one can go out and get the Presence. The Presence comes to me; I don't go to it.

This morning, for example, I was driving into Manhattan. Suddenly the Presence came, localized as it often is in a specific physical place—but immediately having a feeling impact, an emotional influence, over the entire Being, through the body.

I've been working for the last week to put myself more honestly under the influence of God, if that is even possible; that work has consisted of a new approach to the three principal prayers.  I'll outline that approach:

We are vessels into which the world flows.

Lord Jesus Christ, through your glory, grace, and mercy, help me to honor and obey.

There is no I, there is only truth. The way to the truth is through the heart. 

Lord Jesus Christ, through your glory, grace, and mercy, help me to honor and obey.

I call to thee from the depths of my iniquity. I have not delivered myself sufficiently unto thee; I know not how. 

Lord Jesus Christ, through your glory, grace, and mercy, help me to honor and obey.

We recently received into our household a religious icon on loan from our friend Chantal Heinegg,  an image of Christ Pantocrator (see above.) 

This particular icon has had a strong influence on my prayer practice starting immediately, and was the source of inspiration for this prayer, which is a reorganization of an older set of prayers I was taught by Mary and Her various assistants a number of years ago. 

Together, the practice seems to be refocusing around this question of there Presence of Christ, which I suppose has always been necessary, but for which the timing was not right until now.

I'd like to better remember the influence of Christ in my daily life, with his generous gifts which constantly flow; and I would like to better remember that I am a vessel for receiving, as well as understanding that my ego is tiny and useless, and that my sins are many and insurmountable without help.


That, in a nutshell, is the whole of the practice; and I'm still trying to learn it after all these years.

Hosanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.