Monday, May 4, 2015

Intention: Through the Heart of God, part II: The Moral Valence


To intend is to tend inwardly; and to tend has two meanings. 

The first is to move towards; so to intend is to acquire an inwardness, perhaps even an unfamiliar inwardness, which asks me to go away from the many mechanical or automatic concerns of outward things, which provoke an endless series of reactions, towards an inner concern that forms itself around my sense of myself as a Being. 

This brings me to the second meaning of to tend, which is to attend to: to value, to honor, to see.

I am asked, in the action of intention, to both see my self and value my self. I learn through this action to discover an intimate and compelling experience of Being that is related to the origins of the soul. All souls have their ultimate origin in the Being of the Lord; each one has the divine spark which all the great masters acknowledge. Only by bringing myself into a closer inner relationship with this divine spark can a thriving inner growth commence; and most of what my outward being consists of is firmly aligned against this tendency. My weak will, such as it is, must be turned against this constantly flowing tide of outwardness and tend inwards. 

Of course I'm not very good at this; I need help, and it is through grace alone that intention can manifest. Once a seed of inward tending is sown, much can grow from it. This is where the idea of wish comes in; I wish to have an intention. Really, intention hinges on this, because I can't have an intention of my own, even though I speak of it and others write of it and yogis carry on as though I were going to pull myself up by my own bootstraps and stand on a podium of super-efforts. 

I can have a wish; and the wish can attract the forces that help me to have an intention. But to have a real intention is a gift.

true moral valence is never designed or orchestrated by mankind, or by outward things. The moral valence of real intention is a natural one that arises independent of mankind; rightness is right whether man exists or not. Rightness goes towards the Lord; and this direction or tendency is available to all creation, at every level. 

Now, this may seem a difficult concept to agree with, since we presume almost to a fault that what is or is not good is determined by us, by our thought; yet real Grace teaches that goodness comes before mankind and even before Being itself, as we know it. Another way of saying it would be that Being is goodness.

Everything that is formed by my psychology and the material fundamentally misunderstands this question, because what is formed in me by the material world (Eckhart's creation) understands everything through coercion; that is, by law, whether natural or man's. 

Now, law means that which is laid down and fixed; and because we see physical and chemical principles established in this way, we think first, through our sciences, that the universe is immutable. We then think, through the vehicles of our societies and institutions, that principles of morality and rightness are fixed things, even though the evolution of society's understandings over time conclusively proves that this is never the case. (Take the examples of slavery, and of gay marriage rights, for example.) 

So we interpret goodness always from a fixed and relative point, and believe we understand something about it, whereas the absolute truth is that we can only understand goodness through the heart of God.

That heart of God is a place which we undertake a journey towards; that is the esoteric meaning of the maze on the floor of Chartres cathedral. Our wish helps to form an inward tendency to go in that direction; and insofar as we plant that wish in worthy soil, so does it grow within us, inwardly, so that the leaves of our soul can unfurl and collect the inner light which we need for further growth.


Our failure to understand this inwardly, through prayer and contemplation, is why the world is such a mess. Any human being who truly searches inwardly will discover their own inner thickets are filled with exactly the same thorny brambles as the outside world: we are all tangled in them.

Hosanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.