Sunday, November 2, 2008

cooking


New feature on Doremishock.com, which may need a word or two of explanation.

I grew up in a conservative and traditional family. My mother, D.A.R. to the core, used to can fruits and vegetables, bake pies, grind her own meat, and so on when I was young. I grew up in her kitchen learning how to cook many different things. She also taught me other household arts such as cleaning, sewing, and ironing. Not necessarily the kind of thing every little boy learns from his mother, but my mother's mission in life from the time I was very young was to make sure I was fully prepared to lead a responsible life in as many ways as possible.

Some of my fondest memories of my childhood are of spending time in the kitchen cooking things. I've been cooking on my own at home ever since I was in college, because I can usually make better food than most restaurants serve, and it costs less.

Both my children have followed in this family tradition. My daughter (featured above, at easter in our tiny little kitchen) is currently an assistant pastry chef in her spare time while she attends Cornell. My son, who is 17 years old and addicted to rock band (last week when I was home sick I was inadvertently forced to listen to a Judas Priest concert, which was not something I expected to have to do in my later years) watches iron Chef more than just about any other television program, and has taught himself his way around the kitchen better than a lot of adults.

My wife is the Queen of Soup (along with Queen of Everything Else.) She can make anything liquid and make it fabulous.

I bring all of this up because of how important it is to understand how we cook and how we eat. All of the work that we do is cooking. All of the "seeing" we engage in is a way of feeding ourselves.

If we begin to appreciate this in multiple dimensions, it can help our work. As I have pointed out at other times, one of the principal conclusions of John Dominic Crossan's "the historical Jesus" was that food and eating were central to Christ's teaching and practice.

Mr. Gurdjieff also made meals a central part of his teaching work.

Hence I have added a page with recipes to Doremishock. This page will feature recipes I make up at home.

Go. Cook. Eat. Enjoy.

May your roots find water, and your leaves know sun.

1 comment:

  1. I remember a Gurdjieff quote but would like to know where it came from. If you know, please share the knowledge with me.

    Somebody asked him if cooking was a branch of medicine, and he replied, "No, medicine is a branch of cooking".

    Thanks,
    John, M.D.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.